Monday, July 29, 2013

Clean-Out-the-Fridge Freestyle Veggie Soup


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We've got so many beautiful veggies right now! We've got our weekly CSA supply as well as the proceeds from our small garden, and this week we've got some bonus squash from my brother-in-law's community garden plot. It's hard for us to eat everything every week, so I usually end up throwing everything into a big veggie soup every week or two.
 
This week I had a huge yellow summer squash, red and gold potatoes, carrots, tri-color beans, parsley, and basil. Use whatever you have on hand. Last week I threw in some canned garbanzo beans and dry red lentils as well. I almost threw in the kale tonight, but I'm really looking forward to a kale salad tomorrow.
 
Like the title says, we're freestylin' here.
 
First, sauté a few chopped cloves of garlic in about 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Pour in a 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes. (I like the Muir Glen fire roasted variety.)
 
Add in your chopped veggies and herbs, and then add enough veggie broth so that all the good stuff is covered in liquid.
 
Bring it all to a boil. This is where you can add some lentils if you're going that route. Season as desired. I recommend salt, fresh ground pepper, crushed red pepper, smoked salt, and maybe even a tiny bit of dried oregano.
 
Cover, reduce heat, and let simmer until all veggies are tender.
 
Enjoy your big, beautiful pot of soup!
 
Upgrade option: If you're really a pro, you'll have your own garden tomatoes and some homemade veggie broth!

No comments:

Post a Comment